Pages

Monday 22 October 2012

The Domestic Horsewife

And I now present you with the first of many recipes!

I have to warn you now I am a bit of a "basic" chef. But, because I like to eat yummy food, I have had to learn how to make it! Not being domestically inclined (horsework comes before housework, right?) means all my cooking is quick, uses basic ingredients and should be simple enough for the average person to follow. I have a sweet tooth, so some of my recipes are not going to win health awards. That said, I do embrace lean meal options, as you will find later down the track. ;-) I aim to share with you a variety of my favourite dishes.

My first recipe to share is an old family favourite and firmly committed to memory!


THE HAYBALE'S EASY CHOCOLATE CAKE






Ingredients:

125g Butter or Margarine
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup Self Raising flour
Vanilla essence
3 tablespoons cocoa
1/2 cup milk

Method:

Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius
Grease a ring shaped cake tin.

Now for the really hard bit (not!) - combine all dry ingredients (don't worry about sifting!), stir in milk and eggs and a dash of vanilla essence.

Melt butter/margarine (I just melt it in the microwave) and stir mixture with a stick mixer (bamix or similar) until smooth.

Pour mixture into greased tin and bake in oven for 25 mins (do not overcook - cake should still look moist on top, but a skewer should come out cleanly).

Once cake is cooled, ice with your choice of icing or frosting. Because this cake is deliciously moist, it is also fine to serve without icing.

Store in an airtight container; best consumed within 3 days of baking (that should not be a problem!!) 

Ta-da!